Thursday, January 12, 2012

Misery loves company

"Misery loves company."

To me, that quote always meant that those who are miserable want those around them to be miserable as well. Kind of a "if I'm unhappy then you better be unhappy too" mindset. But over the past week I've applied a new meaning to this phrase.

People who are in misery want others around them to keep them company so they are a little less miserable.

At least that's what I've been going through. I'm naturally more introverted than extroverted. I want and need human contact, but only so much of it, thank you. Then I need alone time, and plenty of it. I could work in my office for hours at a time without talking to a soul, and be perfectly happy.

Not anymore. Now if I'm in my office for more than an hour without a conversation with someone, I get antsy. I've been bringing my lunch (both to save money and to use some of the amazing food people have been bringing us), but increasingly I'd rather go out and eat lunch with others.

I'm not sure how to navigate this yet, especially at home. At work I can talk to colleagues or meet other people for lunch/coffee. But at night, after Rowan goes to bed, that's the hard part sometimes. That's when Aimee and I would cuddle up on the couch and watch TV or talk or play games, and just be. Now I watch TV by myself, or surf the web, or, if I'm really ambitious, try to get some work done around the house like dishes or laundry. And I've been staying up ridiculously late so that when I do go to bed I crash within minutes. But the result is that most nights I get little more than four hours of sleep.

Like I said, I'm not sure how to navigate this yet, but I guess I have plenty of time to figure it out.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are going through this Pat. I'm sure things get better with time, but I wish I had something more helpful to say. I stay up late every night myself because I work swing shift. I like to read blogs, work on mine sometimes, and answer questions on the Blogger help forum. If I don't do that I'm usually reading tech news or something else. Then I crash when my eyes won't stay open. Not too exiting but it's nice and quiet with my wife and kids sleeping. I hope you have a good day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gerry. I hope you have a good day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too wish there was a magic way to make nights easier. After my Godmother died I cried myself to sleep for weeks. One evening I went to the gym with a friend. I was surprised to find that it was so therapeutic for me, and I was so tired after that I crashed around 11pm rather than 3 or 4am like previous weeks. It might also help if you can schedule some guy time at your place after Rowan goes to sleep. Weekly movie, poker, dinner, or have book club at your house. It will give you something to look forward to and at least one night a week the house won't be so quiet. Mostly I hope that you find what works for you. Even though the house might be quiet, there are lots of people who are thinking about you and Rowan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a proposition for you Pat. How about you still enjoy those home-packed lunches, but once a week we'll do a stair workout at lunchtime and then eat afterward. You can't go wrong with great conversation and endorphins when it comes to picking up your mood!

    ReplyDelete