I could not begin to list all of the things I learned from my mom in one place, but if you know me and think I'm even remotely likable, you can thank my mom for that.
- How to interpret different behaviors from children.
- How to effectively redirect undesirable behavior.
- How to effectively use rewards to modify behavior, without turning it into a system of constant and escalating bribery.
- Build a solid relationship with her now, so that she'll be far more likely to listen to what I have to say when she's older and trying to find her own way.
- And perhaps most important in the aftermath of her death, she had shared with me some pointers she learned when she'd gone through a class on helping young children deal with trauma and loss. A couple of times, these tips helped me tremendously with helping Rowan process her feelings, and I still use some of them today.
"Are you still 4?"